Have you ever been watching your favorite show and during a scene, you notice a streak or dust on your screen? That’s because you’re not regularly cleaning your TV!
A lot of things can get on your TV screen. Dust can accumulate on your TV screen naturally over time and this can even lead to damage in the long run. Another common TV screen culprit is grease and grime, which most often come from dirty hands touching your screen.
By keeping your TV screen clean, you can enjoy a clearer picture and longer life from your TV. The best part about this regular cleaning duty is that is super easy to do.
Supplies You’ll Need to Clean Your TV Screen
If you want to clean your TV screen, be sure to have the right supplies at your disposal. A few items you will need to clean your TV screen include:
- A spray bottle
- A bowl
- 1/4 cup of water
- A small amount of dish soap
- A soft cloth that can clean your TV screen without scratching it
Once you have gathered all of your supplies, it is time to get to work cleaning your TV screen.
A Step-by-Step Process to Clean Your Flat Screen TV
Follow these tips:
- Make sure you disconnect the power cord from your TV before you start cleaning it. Turn off your TV, unplug it, and take a look at where the dirt and dust settle. This will also give your TV a chance to cool down while reducing your chances of shocking yourself. You can also use a light or flashlight and shine it along the screen to see where streaks and dust might be.
- Start the cleaning process by wiping your TV down with a microfiber cloth. Use a gentle motion to remove the dust while also protecting your TV screen from harm.
- Assuming that you’ve got grease and streaks to clean up, you’ll want to follow up by cleaning it with a mild cleaning solution. Mix half a teaspoon of dish soap with a quarter cup of water in a bowl. Lightly dip the cloth in the mixture.
- Use the moist cloth to wipe down the TV to remove the stains. After this, get a dry microfiber towel and dry your TV screen.
Afterwards, give your TV screen another once over to make sure that you got everything you needed.
Pro Tips for Cleaning Your TV Screen
Not all TVs are created equal and that means that you might need to cater your cleaning process to the type of TV you have. There are several additional tips to follow to make sure you get a professional clean on your TV.
How to Prevent Leaving Streaks After You Clean Your TV
In some cases, you may find that you leave streaks behind after cleaning your TV. That’s usually because you’re either not using the proper cleaning solution, or you’re not wiping the TV with a microfiber cloth after using a cleaning solution. Always wipe your TV down with a dry cloth when you are done to avoid streaks.
Plasma screen vs. LED screen vs. OLED screen vs. QLED Cleaning Tips
If you have a QLED or OLED TV, always use a microfiber cloth to prevent scratches. Because of the high definition screens, a scratch has the potential to be even more visible. Always let the TV cool down before you clean it so you don’t burn yourself or your cleaning solution, which could damage your TV.
How to Prevent Fingerprints When Cleaning Your TV
The easiest way to do this is to clean your TV regularly from top to bottom. By always working in the same direction, you can ensure that you’re not going to accidentally touch the screen during the cleaning process, leaving fingerprints behind. Another tip is to thoroughly clean and dry your hands prior to cleaning the TV or utilize gloves of some kind (rubber or microfiber gloves will work).
How Often Should You Clean Your TV?
The simplest answer is to do it as often as it needs it. For things like dust, you’ll probably want to do that more often since dust accumulates a lot quicker than – say – grime or grease or streaks. For a deeper clean, we recommend doing it every 1 – 2 months to ensure that you’ve got the clearest picture possible.