One of the biggest offenders when it comes to keeping a clean home is making sure that all of your surfaces and furniture are free of dust. Keeping up with dust can be a daunting process, but with regular cleaning intervals anyone can make sure that the appearance of dust is minimal.
So what do you need to do to dust all the surfaces in your home properly? Take a look and follow the steps below.
Preparing to Get Rid of Dust
Before you dust the room, you should remove any clutter. For example, if you have anything on top of desks or tables, put them away.
You may want to try to work on one room at a time to make the task of dusting more manageable. You should also remove any fabrics present in the room , like linens, or furniture covering. You can remove dust from fabric by beating it with a broom to shake the dust out. Make sure that you do the dusting OUTSIDE so that you don’t cause more dust in the house.
What You Need to Dust Your House
- A vacuum
- A duster
- Multiple microfiber cloths
- A damp cloth
Then, you can move on to the following steps.
Dust Any Room in Your Home: Step by Step
- Start at the top of the room. Dust falls down so starting off by cleaning the floor then doing the fans will just make your floors messy again. When dusting, always start at the top and work your way down.
- You should start with fans, vents, the tops of shelves or bookcases, and other furniture or appliances. Wipe dust off of those surfaces
- As you work your way down, be sure to dust all surfaces and wipe down any with a microfiber cloth to get at areas the duster may have missed. Make sure you pay special attention to surfaces you use often. You may need to rotate your microfiber cloth when it gets dirty.
- You should also use a damp cloth to go over the door frames, doors, windows, and walls in the room. Wiping down the walls is important because this will prevent dust from accumulating back on the surface as you just cleaned.
- Once you are done, double-check your work and make sure you did not miss anything.
- Then, you can finish the job by sweeping and vacuuming your floors to remove any dust that has fallen on the floor.
Why Should You Dust You Home?
It is important for you to dust your home because it will protect your home’s interior as well as your health. Removing dust from your home is important for protecting people with allergies and asthma. Dust can irritate the respiratory system, leading to health complications.
Cleaning your surfaces regularly will also help maintain them for years. If you want your furniture and surfaces to last as long as possible, you should dust them regularly.
How Often Should You Dust Your Home?
You should try to dust the surfaces that you use regularly at least once per month. These are probably surfaces that are easy to reach. You should dust surfaces that you don’t use as often, such as the ceiling, about once every three or four months, or as necessary.
One thing to keep in mind is if you have special circumstances that might require you to dust more often. For example, running your AC more often (especially with a dirty air filter) might cause more dust to accumulate more readily around vents, on fans, walls, and ceilings.
What Are Dust Bunnies?
We get this question a lot, so we wanted to provide a good answer to it.
Dust bunnies are small balls of dust that collect in your home; however, they are made up of more than just dust. They often collect hair, skin cells, and even insect droppings. They can be hazardous to your health, so make sure you clean them up. Whenever you’re dusting your house, be sure to knock out those pesky dust bunnies!
If you need help dusting your home, reach out to professionals who can help you. Contact Maid Zen Cleaning Service today for a free quote!